Monday, April 19, 2010

out of my control

What an end to the semester it has been. Finals started last week and along with them came the eruption of a volcano in Iceland. There have been no flights for the last 6 days and European travel is just a mess. Can you believe that because of a volcano in Iceland, there have been no flights in Europe for the past 6 days???!!! I didn't even know that there were volcanoes in Iceland. I thought there was just ice. =)

Here is a picture of the Eyjafjallajokull volcano. Who knows where on earth they got that name.

This really has caused a lot of problems, stress and worry for the students and faculty here because this is our last week and everyone is scheduled to depart Wednesday and Thursday. So far here is what is going on: We have no idea! =) But really it is a day to day kind of basis right now. Flights still do not have permission to fly as of Tuesday morning. But the hope is that things are starting to clear up and they will later in the day tomorrow. We keep sitting here looking at each other going "seriously!?!?!?" As of right now, Craig's flight is still scheduled to fly out on Wednesday evening and arrive Thursday morning. We are praying hard that everything will work out and realize it truly is out of our control. (Not so easy for me who really really likes to be in control) I know that in the midst of chaos that everything will work out the way God intended, but I will be disappointed if we loose out on our trip. I mostly will be disappointed with the $1000 we will probably loose if we have to cancel the trip. Luckily, I am dating a man who is consistently calm in these situations and a lot more optimistic than me right now. We are both just praying right now and realizing that God is in control.


On a better note, I have 1 more final left and am almost done with my junior year of college! Where has the time gone?! I am really proud of my grades this semester and felt like I did a good job even with so much going on here! I am hoping to spend the month of May relaxing, catching up with friends and family and getting ready for full time summer school which starts June 1st. I am more ready than ever to be back in the U.S. and away from travel.

Here are some pictures from last weekend and last few events at Harlaxton. Leah and I stayed in London in an 18 bed mixed dorm hostel. It was quite an adventure! We forgot towels and were too cheap to buy one so we used a sheet to dry off from the shower. Staying classy. We also ended up sleeping in the same bed because we were terrified of the other people in the room who did not speak English and had scary Russian accents. It was fun to get this experience as our last one before we went home! We spent the day shopping, sitting at Starbucks and just riding the Underground and buses. It was fun and I am glad I spent the time with Leah!!

Best friends for life
Love these girls. Travel buddies at Harlaxton
Kat. Love her!
I love my Shay Shay. Can we also check out my fabulous teal ballet flats. Shoes in Europe rock!
Love these girlies!


Best friends bonding at Tiffany and Co. Sorry Craig and Tim, we have classy taste. =)

Love this girl. I cannot imagine this semester without her and I cannot imagine saying goodbye.
Everyone got to sign a wall in the bistro at Harlaxton. This is what Leah and I wrote. She made this toast to us the weekend before and it made me cry, in pub. But we really will be best friends for life.


No comments: