Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Getting in the groove


Wow, so much has happened since my last update and it's only been over a week. Harlaxton is basically education on steroids! I thought I was here to travel! =) No, I'm really excited about my classes. My favorite is Shakespeare where we are studying 10 different works of the literary god and international criminal justice where I basically get to study about injustice in the world and how we are combatting it. Pretty awesome. There are 3 students in the class and we just get to discuss things that I am super passionate about!

I go to school Monday through Thursday and then we get to travel on Friday through Sunday. Last Friday we took coach buses to London for the weekend. We got a 2 hour tour of the city highlights and then checked into our hotel. I roomed with my two new friends Leah and Brigette. They're awesome, and we totally bonded because we all have serious boyfriends back home who we miss and love dearly! =) On Friday we shopped, found H&M, ate a delicious Italian dinner went to a pub and had lots of laughs! Saturday it rained for the first time since I've been here and I was thrilled because I got to put my new rain boots to the test. They passed! We walked around Picadilly circus, trafalgar square, shopped some more, walked around Harrods and saw Les Miserables!!!! I was so excited to see Les Mis because it's on my bucket list and it was unbelievable. I was in tears the whole time! Craig gave me the hardest time because I went to London for the weekend and managed to not see one historical sight. "Of course you would just shop, eat and see plays all weekend"-Craig
I wanted to experience London and I did! We're going back this weekend to do that really boring touristy kind of stuff...and hopefully see Lion King and shop some more!! We had a great weekend..my feet still hurt!

Some other new and exciting news is that I applied to be an RA while I am here and they hired me! I'm so thrilled! I am on 5th floor and I get my own room which is really exciting. I also get to plan events like a costume ball and some floor events. I am going to show Call and Response, the rockumentary to raise awareness for sex-trafficking. A lot of people are going to Amsterdam and I want them to be aware of what is going on in cities like that. It should be a fun experience and way for me to get to know people better!

I can't wait for the next few weeks! I'm working on a 4 day trip to Madrid right now! Craig and my mom are both coming to visit me!! My mom is coming at the end of March and we are going to Paris and Italy. I can't wait for this bonding experience with her! Craig will be here my last day April 21 and we are traveling around Europe for 2 weeks! I'm VERY excited for both of them to be here! I miss them a lot!

Again, I'll leave you with some pictures!
Love love love Mel

Gardens at Henry VIII castle
More of the gardens that were stunning!
Henry VIII Castle
We got ground floor seats for 27 GBP!!! What a deal!
Touristy pictures
London girl!
Had to take at least one of these! =)
I love the contrast of the drab, rainy city with the random red!
My castle!

No comments: